Tarangire National Park is located in northern Tanzania only 43 miles (70 km) directly southeast of Lake Manyara National Park. The national park encompasses an area of 1,100 square miles (2,850 sq km).
The Tarangire River traverses across the park and serves as the name source of the national park. The river is also the leading source of water for wildlife. The renowned Serengeti Migration of wildebeest and zebras migrates through this area during the dry season.
Tarangire is comprised of grasslands, granite rock formations, the lush river valley along the Tarangire River, swamps, and varied woodlands made of Acacia and Combretum. The baobab trees blanket the area and add to the stunning landscapes.
The park is renowned for the abundance of elephants which serves as one of the draws to the park. There are several predator species such as African wild dog, cheetah, caracal. Honeybadger, and of course the sought-after lion and leopard. Tarangire is one of Tanzania’s Lion Conservation Units.
Some of the other wildlife found in the park include baboon, cape buffalo, dik-dik, eland, gazelle, giraffe, impala, mongoose, vervet monkey, wildebeest, and zebra. It is also a spectacular place for bird watching with over 550 species.
A safari with game viewing is the highlight of Tarangire National Park. The abundance of elephants is one of the leading highlights, however, the varied predators is also a significant attraction of the park.
Many people visit with hopes of experiencing the terrain which is blanketed by the stunning baobab trees.
Trails of Tarangire National Park
There are no trails for hiking in Tarangire. This is a wilderness area with an abundance of wildlife. The good news is that there are guided walking safaris that allow visitors to have a more personal outdoor experience with nature and the abundance of wildlife.
- Wildlife views
- Abundant elephant
- Baobab trees
- Bird watching with over 550 species
- Expert Africa, Tarangire National Park, https://www.expertafrica.com/tanzania/tarangire-national-park, retrieved December 2019.
- Lonely Planet, Tarangire National Park, https://www.lonelyplanet.com/tanzania/northern-tanzania/tarangire-national-park, retrieved December 2019.
- Tarangire Tanzania, Tarangire National Park, https://www.tarangiretanzania.com/, retrieved December 2019.
- Tarangire National Park, park site, https://www.tarangirenationalpark.com/, retrieved December 2019.
- Tanzania Expeditions, Tarangire National Park, https://www.tanzania-expeditions.com/tarangire-national-park-safari/, retrieved December 2019.