Ruaha National Park is located just south of the central midpoint of Tanzania. The national park encompasses an area of 7,809 square miles (20,226 sq km) making it the largest national park in Tanzania and one of the largest in Africa.
Ruaha National Park is part of the larger Rungwa-Kizigo-Muhesi ecosystem that covers an area of 17,000 square miles (45,000 sq km). Along with Ruaha, the area includes two other game reserves and a wildlife management area.
The great Ruaha River travels along the southeastern border of the park. The river name serves as the source for the national park name. This water source also serves as a draw for safari game viewing.
The park predators feature lion, leopard, cheetah, spotted hyena, and wild dog. The park serves as one of Tanzania’s Lion Conservation Units. Giraffe, buffalo, hippopotamus, zebra, warthog, and sable antelope are some of the popular species found within the park.
Ruaha is also a bird lovers paradise with over 570 species of birds found within the park. Hornbills, raptors, bee-eaters, rollers, and many other species make bird-watching a popular activity in the park.
Game-viewing with the abundance and variety of wildlife is the highlight of Ruaha National Park.
Trails of Ruaha National Park
There are no trails in the national park, however, there are guided walking safaris that allow visitors to hike in the park. This is a national park with predator species and other wildlife that must be respected. Pay attention to your surroundings even though you are hiking with a guide on a planned walking safari.
- Ruaha River
- Wildlife game viewing
- Britannica, Ruaha National Park, https://www.britannica.com/place/Ruaha-National-Park, retrieved December 2019.
- CNN Traveler, Ruaha’s Secret Safaris, https://www.cntraveller.com/gallery/ruaha-national-park-safaris , retrieved December 2019.
- Expert Africa, Ruaha National Park, https://www.expertafrica.com/tanzania/ruaha-national-park, retrieved December 2019.
- Ruaha National Park, Park Site, https://www.ruahanationalpark.com/, retrieved December 2019.
- Tanzania Tourist Board, Ruaha National Park, https://www.tanzaniatourism.go.tz/en/destination/ruaha-national-park, retrieved December 2019.