Mount Remarkable National Park is located north of Adelaide in the state of South Australia. The national park area covers an area of 70.5 square miles (182.7 sq km).
The park is comprised of three different regions. Locally called a block, is the heart of the park just outside the town of Melrose. This accounts for the majority of the park and includes the Warren Bonython Link, Mambray Creek, and Mount Remarkable. This area accounts for all but about 6 square miles (15.5 sq km).
Mount Remarkable is the highest summit in the national park reaching a height of 3,150 feet (960 m). The name is also derived from this peak.
The Telowie block is the smallest and only takes up about 0.14 square miles (0.35 sq km). The third region is called Napperby block and makes up the remaining 6.46 square miles )16.72 sq km). It is just outside the town of Napperby.
The park features a variety of wildlife species with emu, echidna, kookaburras, and goannas being some of the Australian highlights. There are 117 species of birds that call the park home.
Mount Remarkable Highlights
Mount Remarkable is the highlight, however, the majority of visitors like to get out and hike around and explore the nature the park has to offer.
Trails of Mount Remarkable National Park
Alligator Gorge Car Park: A simple trail less than half of a kilometer with stunning views into Alligator Gorge. It only takes about 15 minutes.
Gorge Circuit: This is an excellent 2-hour hike traveling 3.3 km through Alligator Gorge providing hikers with a close-up and personal experience with the gorge.
Mambray Creek: This 3 km walk takes about 1-hour to experience this wilderness trail that travels along Mambray Creek.
Mount Remarkable Summit Loop: This is an uphill trek that is a little more adventurous compared to some of the shorter trails. It takes about 5 hours and travels a distance of 13.8 km. The highlight is reaching the summit of Mount Remarkable, the pinnacle attraction of the park.
Mount Cavern Trek: This loop trail covers a distance of 11.3 km and takes about 6 hours. The terrain experiences a variety of elevation changes and delivers an array of lookouts over the national park.
Hidden Gorge Hike: This is an exciting exploration of Mambray Creek and the discovery of the hidden gorge. The trek is an 18 km loop that takes about 7 hours to complete.
Mount Remarkable Highlights
- Mount Remarkable
- Good Living, 10 Things to See and Do at Mount Remarkable National Park, https://www.environment.sa.gov.au/goodliving/posts/2017/06/mount-remarkable-10-things, retrieved October 2019.
- National Parks and Wildlife Service South Australia, Mount Remarkable National Park, https://www.parks.sa.gov.au/find-a-park/Browse_by_region/flinders-ranges-outback/mount-remarkable-national-park, retrieved October 2019.
- South Australia, Mount Remarkable National Park, https://southaustralia.com/products/flinders-ranges/attraction/mount-remarkable-national-park, retrieved October 2019.
- Trails SA, Ali Lookout Walk – Alligator Gorge – Mount Remarkable National Park, http://www.southaustraliantrails.com/trails/ali-lookout-walk/, October 2019.
- Walking SA, Hikes in Mount Remarkable National Park, https://www.walkingsa.org.au/walk/find-a-place-to-walk/park/mount-remarkable-national-park/, retrieved October 2019.