Daintree National Park is located in Queensland along the coastline of far northeast Australia. Although a divided area, the national park boundaries encompass an area of 463.3 square miles (1,200 sq km).
The two different areas of the park are known as Mossman Gorge and Cape Tribulation. The Mossman Gorge area is comprised of dense rainforest and mountain woodlands. The area provides visitors with a number of hikes to explore the rainforest and biodiversity.
The Cape Tribulation area features Mt. Hemmant, Mt. Sorrow, and Thornton’s Peak, pristine beaches, and Australia’s final significant collection of lowland rainforest.
There are three key rivers traversing the park. Mossman River is found in the lower southern part of the park with Bloomfield River and the Daintree River found further north.
The national park is renowned for the Daintree Rainforest which exemplifies biodiversity. The rainforest of Daintree is home to a number of rare species. Trees once thought to be extinct have been discovered to be living in the Daintree rainforest.
The Daintree Rainforest is home to over 430 species of birds, 23 species of reptiles, 13 species of amphibians, and an array of mammals. The saltwater crocodile is probably the most exciting species found in the park.
Daintree National Park is home to the renowned Daintree Rainforest. The tranquility of the dense biodiversity of the rainforest with hikes to explore the region is the highlight of the national park.
Hiking the scenic walks of the Mossman Gorge are some of the most popular park activities. Engaging one of the guided tours to experience the saltwater crocodiles is also exhilarating.
- Daintree Rainforest
- Pristine beaches
- Saltwater crocodiles
- Australia, Daintree Rainforest, https://www.australia.com/en-us/places/cairns-and-surrounds/guide-to-the-daintree-rainforest.html, retrieved September 2019.
- Lonely Planet, The Daintree, https://www.lonelyplanet.com/australia/queensland/the-daintree, retrieved September 2019.
- Queensland Government Parks and Recreation, Daintree National Park, https://parks.des.qld.gov.au/parks/daintree/, retrieved September 2019.
- Queensland Uncovered, Everything you need to know about the world’s oldest rainforest, https://blog.queensland.com/2018/04/27/daintree-national-park/, retrieved September 2019.
- Wildlife Worldwide, Daintree National Park, http://www.wildlifeworldwide.com/locations/daintree-national-park, retrieved September 2019.